Re: [Harp-L] kickin' it up a notch

Ken, thank you for that different angle on it -- Larry's reply was also cool in that way
(different angle). I really like the idea of the band coming down as the solo starts and
building with me (maybe a touch after me, and then maybe let them catch up and then
build together). Thanks. --jk

Thanks for starting this thread.

One of my favorite moments of dynamics and build, ever, anywhere, is the climactic stuff toward the end of Off The Wall by Little Walter. It's riveting and exciting, and even a kid has no trouble 'getting it'. And yet he doesn't so much get louder as just bump the excitement and it feels like he is filling up the room.

And just as cool, he then takes it down about five notches for the last chorus.

Telling a story with dynamics ... can't beat it.

Minor note to the Harp-l crew: my new collection "Music For Small Audience" was delivered to my mastering guy this afternoon, so hopefully I can have some bits up on the web by late next week.

Ken