Re: [Harp-L] kickin' it up a notch

Realizing that it doesn't hurt to have some kind of "11" (ala Spinal Tap) somewhere in your signal path, it's worth discussing this from another angle completely.

I think one of the hardest skills in soloing is knowing how to start a solo in such a way as to "take the stage" and grab appropriate attention WITHOUT giving it all you've got. Because you have to hold something back for the build to the finish of the solo.

Therefore, it also really helps to let ones bandmates know, as you probably have, that you'd like to have a specific dynamic curve to your solo in the first place. Sometimes it's appropriate to take it down somewhere in your solo before blasting up. There are just a few basic dynamic 'stories' altogether, and your mates should be listening to you and take it down if you take it down and roar when you roar. That will set your roaring parts off very nicely.

I haven't played in bands in many years, and I recall often feeling just the way you do, wishing I could kick it up the way the guitar player does. Sometimes I didn't feel that way, and alot of it had to do with the guitarist. Unless the audience really wants headbangingly loud sound, and I've played for that crowd myself, the band should be using "11" very sparingly to begin with.

But this wasn't the nature of your question, was it? You just want to be able to kick into 11 when appropriate and have the help of your equipment. If you don't find any help from the gear, get the gang to dial it back just a hair for your big climaxes so as to provide some contrast.

Ken