Re: [Harp-L] kickin' it up a notch

In my experience, overdrive units intended for guitar have one
profound effect on harp: FEAMING SCREEDBACK!

Here's what I do: I use a two-channel tube preamp with variable tube
blend controls for each channel.  I keep one channel set to mostly
solid-state (clean) with the output set relatively low, which drives
a lower volume out of the amplifier.  I have the second channel set
to high tube overdrive, and the output level set up significantly
higher (though not high enough to clip the amplifier inputs or the
effects in between).  I use an A/B pedal to switch back and forth
when I am playing background/fills and when I step up for a solo.
It's an elaborate setup, but it works well.

If you're running through a classic tube amplifier this option isn't
so easy to implement, unless there are two channels that can be
configured independently.

-tim

john kuzloski wrote:
> The guitar player in my band steps on some kind of
> overdrive pedal (sometimes) during a solo, and it
> really kicks it up a notch (some of it is volume/some
> of it is crunch).  I'm wondering what some of the
> amped players on the list do to similarly kick it up
during a harp solo.  Lately, I have been using one of
> Greg Heumann's volume controls -- playing it mostly
> at maybe 80% and turning it to 100% if I want to kick
> it up a notch.  This works pretty well.  When
> appropriate during solos, I also just play a bit more
> aggressively/dramatically, and that also works prety
> well.
>
>   Nevertheless, I don't think the change is as dramatic
as the guitar players pedal.  And, like I said, it's not