[Harp-L] kickin' it up a notch

The guitar player in my band steps on some kind of overdrive pedal (sometimes) during a solo, and it really kicks it up a notch (some of it is volume/some of it is crunch).  I'm wondering what some of the amped players on the list do to similarly kick it up during a harp solo.  Lately, I have been using one of Greg Heumann's volume controls -- playing it mostly at maybe 80% and turning it to 100% if I want to kick it up a notch.  This works pretty well.  When appropriate during solos, I also just play a bit more aggressively/dramatically, and that also works prety well.

  Nevertheless, I don't think the change is as dramatic as the guitar players pedal.  And, like I said, it's not all about volume, some of it is just kicking to a higher level of overdrive.  The general consensus seems to be that overdrive pedals are not harp friendly.  Turning amp volume up will typically also kick up the overdrive, but the amp may or may not be right there, and I don't necessarily want to be tweaking the amp mid-song -- for performance/appearance reasons I guess.

  This is not a huge problem because, like I said, the volume control and playing adjustments work pretty well.  I'm just wondering about others' experience/approaches.  (Do any pedals work well for this?  I have an EQ pedal that I rarely use -- it has a gain and volume control on it -- I bet I could set that a bit hot and just step it on once in awhile.)
  Thanks!
  --John K.

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.