[Harp-L] Austin and ACL

I just got back from my Austin trip where I attended ACL (Austin City
Limits). Being my first trip to Austin and of course ACL I would like to say
"thanks" to everyone who offered their advice about places to visit during
my stay.

Austin is a truly amazing city.  The city is so committed to its music
heritage, that it sponsors live bands to play all around the city.  It's
EVERYWHERE: parks, squares, there was even a four-piece rock/blues band
performing at the the airport!

Local businesses feature live music all through the week. I went to
a popular grocery store called HEB that hires musicians to play at the main
entrance.  Also, a big liquor store called Spec's Liquor Warehouse has a
permanent stage and sound system and features live bands regularly. This
town knows a thing or two about music!

The highlight of ACL was an hour-long set by Charlie Musselwhite.  This was
the first time I'd seen Charlie perform and I was very impressed. The crowd
went wild.   A unique tune he performed was what he introduced as Brazilian
Blues (I think). For this he played what looked to be a CX-12.

One thing that impressed me about Charlie was how much love and respect he
afforded his band mates. He gave them plenty of room to stretch out and
would stop playing and watch, smile, nod right along with them as they each
played their respective leads. Charlie plays well with others.

I met upcoming blues-guitar great Gary Clark Jr. at the jam at Friends Bar.
Keep your eye on this professional.

All in all a great trip. I'll be heading back to Austin soon.

- GB