[Harp-L] on temperment

I know this thread is pretty much dead, but so what.

Tim Moyer wrote:

"Perhaps JRRoss will weigh in here, he knows far more about tuning and temperaments that I do. "

Actually, I started writing something and then reread what Tim had written and pretty much decided I didn't need to address the questions of the difference between fixed pitch and non-fixed pitch instruments as Tim had done that rather well. As for knowing more, well, somewhat, though most of my knowledge is fairly instrument specific and that instrument isn't the harmonica (though the theoretical knowledge applies across the board).

To answer some of jazmaan's original question, guitars frets are placed based on a 12 Tone Equal Temperment (12TET) system, which means that when you fret the note the interval between that note and the open string is a 12TET interval, so that the octave on that string is divided into twelve equal steps. Since most people tune their guitar's open strings by fretting the interval they want on the lower pitched string and then tuning the next string beatless to that, guitars then end up being in 12TET (for the most part). However, when you play the harmonics of a string, you are no longer in 12TET but rather end up utilizing the harmonic series which determines the pitch of the note. Thus, the guitar can (and often does in practice) play in both 12TET and utilizing the harmonic series, which tends to be represented by smaller limit just intonation (ie, 5-limit Just intonation and such--for detailed explanations of just intonation, try this site: http:// www.justintonation.net/ )

I really don't know about most woodwinds, nor the sax in particular. However, the placement of holes to change the pitch means that those holes must be derived from some system of how you want those notes arranged. I would tend to think an instrument of the late 19th century such as the saxaphone would use 12TET as the basis for those decisions, but that's just an uneducated guess. I have no idea about the trumpet valves.

Iceman writes:

"Golden Melody was geared towards 12 ET partly through
focus on melody and not chords and partly on Howard Levy's influence at the time
- playing in all 12 keys on one diatonic."

I had never heard that before. I thought that the use of 12TET on the Golden Melody predated Howard's career, or at least the earliest Flecktones releases.

Of course, I don't think anyone can play in "all" 12 keys on a diatonic, but that's another issue. However, the reason I brought that up is to remind people that even in Western musical theory there are many more than 12 keys. Unless you are playing a fixed pitch instrument which has only twelve divisions of the octave, then something like D# is not the same as Eb.

()() JR "Bulldogge" Ross () () & Snuffy, too:) `----'