Re: [Harp-L] Re: criticism

I am decidedly on the side of those who believe that criticism is useful for all of us on the list.

I agree that if you make a public performance, you have already decided by default that you are prepared for criticism. If you are an artist and you have confidence in what you are doing, then a negative critique shouldn't matter to you. If you don't have confidence in what you are doing, then please don't inflict your stuff on the rest of us.

For all the others, a detailed and specific criticism can both inform and stir our own feelings.

I further agree that Elizabeth's response, while it was friendly, is none the less a form of ad hominem attack; that is, it attacks the person or hir actions, not the validity of hir arguments.

Larry Marks, Really Senior Software Geek