Re: [Harp-L] still learning to overblow...

Paul;
         What do you mean by the expression "the closing reed"?
RD

>>> Paul Bowering <paul_bowering@xxxxxxxxx> 1/09/2007 8:56 >>>
>I have heared that damping down the rivet end of the
>reed with beeswax or nailpolish helps this. Is
>it true about the nailpolish? - is it applied to the
>blow or to the draw reeds or both?

It's probably more critical to the closing reed but I
find it best to do both Blow and Draw reeds. The Draw
plate is fairly easy but you have to be more careful
with the Blow plate because an excess of polish will
overlap the comb tines and perhaps prevent the plates
from sitting flat against the comb.

Don't use the brush applicator to dab on nail polish
as it is too hard to control the amount of polish
applied. Simply put a blob of it on a piece of paper
and use the tip of a paper clip or tooth pick to dab
the blob. Apply right in the corner where the reed
meets the rivet pad.

While this technique (or Turbo Tape) can benefit any
harp I think some of the Asian models have the most to
gain. Their thinner reeds allow lower gapping and seem
easier to 'pop' the overblows; they just need the wax
to quell the tortional vibrations. Suzuki's Harpmaster
and Bluesmaster models, often cited as 'not the best
for OB' are excellent when given this treatment.
They're the most reliable overblow harps I own. I
didn't even emboss them.