Re: [Harp-L] Ghost Notes

I have said repeatedly on this list that if what you're trying to do is play post war Chicago style blues on a harmonica a really really big clue as to how to figure it all out is by trying a JI harmonica. Dealing with that very flat 5 draw teaches you as much or more than just trying to copy the playing note for note.

I don't usually play 7 limit JI although the harmonica on my desk is a pre-war Marine Band G in 7 limit. I do play 19 limit JI harmonicas a lot. I find it hard to imagine giving up the splits and chords on 1 through 5 and then 7 through 10. The 1 and 3 draw then bent then the blow chord. You can't do that and have it sound good in equal temperament. My best solo all last night was completely chords and octaves leaning hard on the ghost tones. I was playing through a borrowed Jonhson analog delay that had just that hint of a ring as you opened up the cup. Lean heavily into the chord and close the cup and it all compresses so perfectly and then the extra tone appears and shimmers as you back off and move to the next split. Maybe you can do that using ET but I haven't figured out how to do it yet.

I've come full circle. A very long time ago I wrote a long letter to Hohner complaining about how out of tune their harmonicas were. Why is the 5 draw so completely and utterly flat? They never wrote back and i switched to Golden Melodies and then Lee Oskars and moved on. Maybe 5-6 years ago at a Buckeye Harmonica Festival I got to talking with Richard Sleigh about tuning. One thing lead to another and before i knew it I'd bought the pre-war G and had Richard tune it up and remount the plates on a sealed comb. He didn't touch the slots or the offsets. I started playing that harmonica and as time went by my understanding of what I'd been missing started to emerge. It's not for everyone and I'd never play single note stuff on 7 limit but there is an incredible wealth of technique and information contained in just playing this tuning and it isn't readily apparent. or at least it wasn't to me but I am notoriously slow about these things. Buy an 1847, play the damn thing. See what happens. fjm