Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Popper-esque phenom

Elizabeth,

I don't see any problem with using an example of someone's playing to discuss methodology, regardless of one's prowess.

And I don't feel one needs to address the exemplar directly, but there's no harm in it.  I did take your advice and posted some comments on "harmonicasex85" youtube at "12-bar blues".

Ought one have to prove he or she is both competent at playing AND at recording then posting things in Youtube etc.  Or can criticism stand, or fall, on its own?

As for style and song preferences, I see nothing wrong with people expressing their taste, albeit one might try to be tasteful in doing so.  For example, I really don't "get" most opera, but I can say that instead of "opera sucks."  Either way the point is made, rudely or not.

Anyway, Elizabeth, if comments are fair then perhaps it's fair for negative and positive alike.

And what is this "harmonica sex" thing?  I rarely combine the two myself.

-Dave Fertig
ps If anyone wants to know if I can play come to the Stovepiper Sat. Sept 15 in Northridge, So Cal., 9:30pm, it's free. Even if you DON'T want to know, come, it'll be a good show even discounting my harp.

EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:     For what it's worth...when someone posts a YouTube video here...and then  others join in to make comments (especially negative ones) about and  or directly TO the person playing IN those videos...it's completely  illogical  and serves no real purpose if your intent is to "teach" the  player just what he is doing 'wrong' (in your professional estimation, that  is)...since he isn't reading your comments.

 The player in question isn't a member of Harp-L as far as anyone can  determine...he put his videos  on YouTube, not harp-l, and there is a  place ON YouTube right there under each video for comment.   While I  still don't understand (and no one so far has satisfactorily been able to  explain to me) the seeming necessity in the harmonica community of 'some'  harmonica players (out of all other musicians) feeling the need to criticize  other harmonica players, dissecting their videos negatively seems  especially egregious (in my humble opinion).  Did this young guy ask for  your criticisms here?

 As a matter of fact, one can not only post comments on YouTube, but even  post VIDEO comments ..i.e. your own videos...perhaps to counteract his...show  him just how it's done ... (somewhat akin to: putting your money where your  mouth is?)  ;)  How about it?  All those who make a negative  comment...put your OWN video up as proof whereof you speak? I would most  definitely be interested in seeing those!  I'm sure I'd learn an awful lot  from the comparisons of "right way vs. wrong way", since I'm a  newbie diatonic player and need to know these important  distinctions.

 Posting your dissection of his playing here strikes me as a  bit unfair, since it smacks somewhat of gossiping behind  someone's back...while the gossipee isn't aware he/she is being talked about so  negatively.  Whereas putting your comments right there on his site will at  the very least allow him a counter response and serve to carry the  courage of your convictions, n'est-ce-pas?

 Elizabeth

 P.S.  His specifically described "jazz" version of Stairway to  Heaven (on diatonic, no less)..seemed quite different and unusual enough to give  a listen..and actually triggered an interest in me to try it on Chromatic...but  in no way made me feel the song should be "left alone".   Why?  Who decides when and for how long a song should or should  not be played?  NOW we have "Rock song police"? Geez.

 Message: 11