[Harp-L] Re: MY SPAH Synopsis...Serialized (Long)......

SPAH 2007...where to begin.  I tried valiantly to keep it  chronological, and
to do it in one shot, but it isn't working.  I've been  "writing" my synopsis
for two weeks now...and still can't quite get it  together.

So....it'll have to be serialized...bear with me (or not)...

Read my subject heading and delete if  you're not interested.

I have to echo other people's descriptions of this as a most fabulous  SPAH.
I do understand the difficulties some folks have in getting to a  Convention,
and feel badly for them.  But not talking about SPAH, or  downplaying the fun
those of us had who DID attend doesn't really make those who  didn't feel
better.  Rather..I've found that everyone (at least those who  write to me
regularly) are eager to and thoroughly enjoy  the personal  anecdotes and glimpses
into the fun at the Conventions...no matter their reasons  for not going...so
here goes:

Phil Caltabellotta...first face and name I ran into at the Airport after
landing in Milwaukee.  He saw me first, called my name.  So I'd  already gotten
to say a very welcome hello to Valerie Redler, Phil and Stan  Harper (my first
time meeting him) before even getting to baggage claim, or  catching my cab to
the Hotel.  I decided against the shuttle ...by the time  I got my much too
heavy checked bag, it was just simpler (and easier on my  aching back)...to
take a cab..have someone else manage my bags out to the  median, always a
problem.  I did have ear pain issues on  the  flight out, although I liked the
MidWest plane..big,  roomy, plenty of leg room for tall people.

Phil and Val would play important roles for me throughout SPAH.....they're
the best people. I got to tag along on Phil's mini jazz jams (with his Bose  CD
player/Music minus one backing tracks)...with Charles Spranklin, Smokey Joe
Leone, Jim Lohman.and another player whose name I'm leaving out because I
really  don't know him (I'll have to look at my videos...will fill in those  I've
omitted later).  At one point Julian Davis joined us in a small  room because
Charles isn't comfortable jamming in the lobby with the onlookers  talking as
they enter and exit the Hotel...one of the necessary evils playing by  the
fireplace (to stay warm) and the nice big comfy lounge chairs.

Unfortunately the new room was right next door to those testing out  Dennis
Oelig's Mics and Amps so the really loud blues playing came  right through the
shared wall...alas ..  'the best laid plans of mice  and men', and all that.
What it did, though..was give me a chance to  capture on tape...the most
wonderful moment of young Julian (a future star if  ever I've witnessed
one)...reacting with surprise and delight to the jazz riffs  of these much older
gentlemen...and then taking his own turn...showing them all  his own substantial
chops.  This kid has "it".  Trust me.

Here and there Phil would be joined in these jams in the hallway/lobby by
Andy Wilson ...not previously on my radar ...a really gifted chromatic player.
(as well as Wally Peterman, Frank Warner, Shelly Lulov, Bud Boblink, AJ
Fedor)...I even had the nerve to play a bit...encouraged by Phil.  He's the  most
generous individual..to not mind ME joining in.  Working with Val off  in a
corner on chromatics...seeing her excited about having gone out and doing a
gorgeous job of laminating a chart for Jason Ricci to practice on chord...and
then her awestruck reaction to his learning in two days what she felt she'd
struggled for a year to master...their realization of just how good a musician  is
our Mr. Ricci ......his intense focus on Wally Peterman's instructions on
chord.  Jason is deadly serious about the chord...he loves the  instrument...its
sound...the role it plays, and worked hard to master  it.

 There was just something so unusual (and exciting) about watching
Jason..his whole body in motion...playing the chord harmonica...when the typical  chord
player usually moves only his/her arms and upper body.  There's a new  day
dawning, folks.....

...speaking of Jason Ricci...My SPAH began with Tuesday night's  blow-off.
I'll spare you yet another saga of Bobbi and I getting detoured  on the way
there in her rental car, and the life-altering experience...my life  flashing
before my eyes...hey, I'm actually getting used to it :)  Neither  of us call it
"getting lost" ...we share the same birthday, so we seem to  be alike in that
it's simply "a road not yet travelled" and "oh look, how  interesting, we
haven't seen THAT before". :)  We got there.   Eventually.

  Michael MellowManHarpSax Peloquin was playing, then Jason,  Dennis
Gruenling with his unduplicatible (I made that  up) tone/sound..come on, is he
reaaaaaallly playing a harmonica????

 LD Miller got called up, sang too...surprising and pleasing the heck  out of
the audience with a voice far more mature and bluesier than his years (I
hadn't expected it despite having run into his mother and LD back at the Hotel
and she introduced herself to ME, having recognized me from my photo...and
from our previous correspondences.)  Very lovely and sweet woman with  whom I
shared many enjoyable conversations during our few SPAH days...a grounded
family.  They wanted LD to be exposed to the full SPAH  experience...excellent
thinking.  He witnessed players who were just  as fast as (if not faster) than
himself...then met slightly older than he  is chromatic jazz players (Julian and
Grant)...a young lady Kaleena  Hutchings...who made the local news playing (of
all tunes) Orange Blossom  Special  completely poised in the Lobby with the
news camera focused on  her...astonishing...and to his credit LD didn't play
"the Star"...but was glad  to meet several of his Harmonica heroes . I watched
him approach Howard Levy to  introduce himself during the intermission at
Charlie Musselwhite's performance,  as star-struck as any other harp player is in
Howard's presence.   During the Miller Family's performance Saturday Night, LD
mentioned buying a  chromatic harmonica for himself...way to go! The family
rocked out.   Good people.

Unfortunately I didn't get to hear Grant play other than at last  year's
SPAH..but I asked Julian who he listens to musically...and besides his  obvious
chromatic influence of Stevie Wonder, he said he studies  Wynton Marsalis'
music, so you know he's a smart kid on the right track.   He has a unique and
distinctive style, is extremely sweet, good looking and with  a smile that lights
up a room.  This kid is definitely a break out  star.  I hope someone is
"seriously" mentoring him...on an individual  basis.  Herb Eck told me that Julian
was "one of his kids"...but I  don't know what that entails as far as his
future is concerned.  I'd  certainly love to hear more about and from Julian.

Back to the Blow-Off...Rosco Selley was there, hanging out with George
Brooks...'May-be August' (the name of his band).  We officially met. Rosco  played
onstage with Michael Peloquin...is a different type of "blues" player,  sweet
and melodious...verges into the rock side of Harp (to my ears) as does  Jason.
 I hadn't heard him before...very nice playing then...and on the  very last
night of SPAH...sitting cross-legged on the floor with Jimmy Conway  and George
Brooks; the "English" Richard Smith (with his blue shoes and  Electronix
prototype) and Warren Bee....playing and singing with Cara  Cooke...while some
drunks listened in (getting a bit rowdy).  He gets to  share Jimmy Gordon's
"special" ) and most excellent) cognac (but then so did I)  ;)  Hey...any friend of
Jimmy's... (I'm a real fan of the afore-mentioned  Mr. Gordon).  NObody
tweaks a chromatic better in 30 seconds...in my  humble opinion...and then, I own
Jimmy's CD "Come On Over" ....where his singing  and harmonica playing belie
his publicly slightly acerbic manner.. He's really a  puddy-cat. ;)

Randy Singer was invited up by Michael (sax/harp man) Peloquin too...and
then nobody could get him offstage!  (kidding, Randy).  Nobody could  stop him
taking over SPAH either at the Jazz jams...OR in the lobby...Randy just  grew
and grew and grew...until he owned the Hotel!!!!  (j/k)....it just  seemed that
way.  Randy Singer is larger than life, if one hasn't figured  that by now. He
played onstage at the Blow-off, a Seminar I attended, a show of  his own,
then ran the Jazz jams on Thursday and Friday nights...with a late  night stop in
the Lobby (the first time I actually met him) late Wednesday,  while Jason
was practicing his chord to my very mundane version of Summertime  (on my
CX-12).

Randy and I are now friends...it's probably because he knows my first
purchased harmonica album was his Harmonica Dreams CD (kidding).  He was  nice to
me, but I almost decked him at first for his seeming to think that Bobbi  and I
were there merely  as cheerleaders for the male players..and not  harmonica
players in our own right (and she not the co-designer of the  Renaissance
Chromatic)....  That was Wednesday.  Hopefully he's  changed his opinion somewhat
since then?  Especially after Bobbi wowed the  crowd singing at the Friday night
jam...But who knows...the Jazz jams onThursday  and Friday were SO
brilliant...the playing at such a level I couldn't hope  to achieve if I play and/or
practice from now until I die.

 Discretion dictated my role should remain as videographer -  to not even
attempt to play...the  level was just that high (though  I'd originally hoped
there'd be some sort of participation for those more  amateur jazz players like
me).  The Friday night Jam included Howard  Levy, and Pablo, of Pablo & Ted,
among all of the regular heavy  hitters.....and Brendan Powers playing together
with PT Gazell...good  lord...how could an amateur even hope to get up at the
mic?  But as a  fan...it was an experience not to be missed...just incredibly
brilliant....  I'm not the best videographer..it's a new camera, the lighting
wasn't great,  but from what I've seen so far, I at least caught some of what
shows  Julian's very cool chromatic playing...and LD wailing out and singing
Fever  ...both of them dueting at the Jazz Jam.   Very cool.

We had a guitarist, upright bass..and Ron Kalina on  keyboard....unreal!
What a backing group...and this trio tucked in the  corner at the bar...which was
packed with people...a microphone set up in front  of the band...people going
up to play were Phil Caltabellotta, Smokey Joe Leone,  Randy Singer, Charles
Spranklin, George Brooks, Slim Heilpern (who had to be  persuaded...then wowed
them), Tom Stryker, the "English" Richard Smith,   Rosco, Friday night Allen
Holmes doing a version of 'Round Midnight we'd earlier  heard him play along
with his wife Alison singing and playing on piano...these  two are
astonishing....

...I had to tell Randy later that the level of playing was SO
high...amateurs couldn't hope to play/participate.  Perhaps at future  SPAH's there might be
a bit of a lull...or a secondary "jam" with less  pressure...perhaps not
quite so intimidating, for beginners at jazz  harmonica to join in.  But it was a
brilliant experience and I still  wouldn't have missed a second of it.

Back to Tuesday night's Blow-Off.  the FINAL act of the night...and  the
headliner..was Adam Gussow.  I'd been lucky enough to get to chat a bit  with Joe
Filisko, Bobbi, ran into Zack and Catherine...(Zack's another young (12  year
old?) player/fan of Jason's ...who can acquit himself very well indeed on  the
harp)..I believe this was his first SPAH too....Slim Heilpern (we'd met at
Bonfiglio's seminar at the Canyon last September. I'm a fan of Slim and Penny
Hanna)..Phil Lloyd and his wife Ann were there..Winslow of course (whose
playing  we'd missed...again), the inimitable Buzz..who DID get up to sing his
signature "Hootchie Cootchie man"...and brought the house down (as usual)....and
then came Adam.

....I was surprised by how low-key and understated he seemed at  first.  Not
quite what I'd expected from his YouTube teaching  videos.  It took him just a
little while to find his sea legs, (so to  speak) with New Blood backing
him...but then ...Jason came back to play  onstage with him..and they both rocked
the house.  This wasn't Satan and  Adam, but "Evil" and Adam ;)  very, very
cool.  The place  was small...one reason we couldn't find it until 3 u-turns,
was that the sign  was practically hidden behind the big, tall VAN owned by
Dennis  Gruenling (it's taller than Jason's, you know).  So it got a bit warm
inside...we had quite a nice little group hanging around outside, cooling  off
and "visiting", with the Miller family. Wally Walters was there and took  some
photos and put them on harp-l for all to see.

Another satisfying Annual Jason Ricci Harp Blow-Off.  My main regret  was
that my buds from New Blood, Shawn and Todd weren't getting to stick around  for
SPAH.  I haven't gotten to know Ron too well, yet.

Got back to the Sheraton in much less time than it took to find the  Pub.
Decided to stay up...went looking for other folks who couldn't  sleep...bumped
into Jason coming in late...then we found Jimmy Gordon, also up  late.  Seems
everyone else was off to their first "early night"....It was  so nice to hang
out with Jason again, since I hadn't spent time with him in a  while.  Paul
Davies got up to join us, even to giving me a lesson on throat  vibrato on
diatonics in the Lobby  by the fireplace.  That's what SPAH  is all about..these
small moments where one can learn anything at the oddest  moments.

To be continued.....