Re: [Harp-L] Blues scale vs. Pentatonic scale

The bone of contention here seems to be the use of the word "minor" within A Blues Scale, which is, admittedly a misnomer caused by writing what I wrote rapidly. But I would say that the correction is obfuscatory and a bit fussy. Since you added one more blues scale, why not add the other ten.

Rex Tobago, destroyer of worlds.

On Oct 30, 2007, at 10:12 PM, George Brooks wrote:

> A Minor pentatonic:
>
> A C D E G

Yes.

> A Minor blues scale:
>
> A C D Db E G A

Not exactly. While there is both a major pentatonic scale and a minor pentatonic scale, the blues scale is always a minor scale (flat 3rd degree and flat 7th degree), so there is no such thing, strictly speaking, as the "minor blues scale." It is simply the blues scale. The blues scale starting on A is spelled:

A C D D# E G

or, alternatively:

A C D Eb E G

The blues scale starting on C is spelled:

C Eb F F# G Bb

I hope this helps.

GB