Re: [Harp-L] Help!!!!me

swings great idea thanks man i love swings!  thanks so much brother.

----- Original Message ----
From: Ken Deifik <kenneth.d@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2007 8:13:04 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Help!!!!me

>I just accepted a gig with keys drum and bass no guitar.  and me on
 harp
>and vocals of course.   I've never done a gig without guitar any words
 of
>wisdom or advice would be appreciated.

The most important thing to do, whether you're playing loud or not, is
swing like crazy and make sure your mates do, too.  If you swing you
 don't
have to blow people's brains out.  Choose material that swings.  Unless

your keyboard player is a total monster play don't try to play
 balls-out
rock and roll blues.  Swing swing swing.

I used to have a band with Andy Statman on mandolin, before his Klezmer

transformation, electric bass and dobro.  No guitar.  Admittedly, we
 were
trying to see what sounds we could make without guitar, and it turned
 out
that we made a whole lot of music and had a nice local following.

I also used to play the opening of the Groundlings shows every weekend
 in
the early 80's.  Just me and the musical director, Ray Colcord, and a
drummer.  Ray is often described as a genius, and I don't really have
 any
trouble with that description.  He could fill up a whole room with the
feeling of good loud electric music, and he didn't even need a harp
player.  But he graciously invited me to play with him at just about
 every
show.  (My wife was in the troop, and I was there for almost every
 show.)

You don't need guitar for nuttin'.  The keyboard will take care of the
 mid
range if he/she's a good musician.  If not you're dead anyway.
  Rehearse
ALOT, and if the keyboardist is merely middlin' don't try to fill up
 the
room with the feeling of good loud electric music.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs