[Harp-L] My Stevie stories

Iceman writes:

TV spots will usually play down the serious interview with a harmonica
player, instead featuring a close up of an old man making silly faces while
playing the harmonica.

That's the nature of the media beast - pop culture et al.

I'm just glad there are a few Brad Kava's in the mix.

Brad Kava IS the old man making silly faces while playing the harmonica!! Hey Brad, pretty good shot, right. He took one of my Seminars, so he is making faces for sure.

My first Stevie encounter was playing on Chakka's first solo album "Best of the West" where I was told the tune was a country thing starting with jaw harp which I laid down. Then Arif Mardin tells me to take a Stevie solo on this pure funk tune. I say, "you've got to be kidding" and do the best that I can. This eventually gets replaced by synth but the jaws harp remains for which I get no credit even though I get harmonica credit.

Then I meet Stevie at the Song Writers Hall of Fame where we are both performers along with Ray Charles, Billy Joel, Keith Richards, Lou Rawls, Paul Anka, etc. Stevie recognizes me at rehearsal by my sound and has my classical CD's already which for me is a thrill; he and I talk harmonicas about a half hour back stage waiting to go on. Frank Huang hand made his harmonica and Chamber Huang designed mine. I tell him that Toots told me that he (Stevie) was his biggest influence over the last 10 years. Stevie is thrilled. He does Barry Gordy tunes and brings the house down. We talk about doing a harmonica night at Carnegie Hall where I play a Harmonica Concerto, Toots plays jazz, Stevie plays pop and Cotton plays blues. He wants to do it and when I play the Hollywood Bowl we meet where his manger Milton says he is too busy with the Super Bowl halftime.

I played a concert with John Sebastian, Jr. where I do a tribute to his Father at the Grand Canyon Music Festival. He tells me that Stevie heard him playing the high blow bends way back when in the Village and wants to know how to do it. John says it's just a copy of Jimmy Reed; Stevie doesn't know Jimmy Reed's playing. John shows him a lick and then Stevie copies it on the chromatic solo at the end of "For Once In My Life."

Ted Spenser, whose recording studio I use to mix down, was working as an engineer at the Power Station when Stevie recorded Superstition. He said Stevie defined the sound of an entire generation of synths. He saw Stevie get a good bass sound on a synth, then lay a whole bass track down in one take that sounded like cooking bass all on a synth.

So the reason that Stevie is so hard to copy is that he, like Howard Levy, is the consummate musician. Both can play a variety of instruments at virtuosic levels. So just learning the harmonica is not enough, they are bringing so much more to the plate. As i said to Howard who plays harmonica by its relationship to the piano, "Yeh, but who can play piano like you plus the diatonic?"

For us in classical music, this is all the score reading, composition, analysis, piano, dictation, theory, solfege, etc. You want to play like these people, you have to do the work and then some.

Harmonically yours,

Robert Bonfiglio
http://www.robertbonfiglio.com