Subject: Re: [Harp-L] was Harmonicas Shipped to Iraq, now let's ship harps to

Sure...in an ideal world.  But...they're in "the field" now...and so  people
here who appreciate their sacrifice and service are taking the time to  send
food and snack packages, Holiday gifts and cookies, toiletries,  musical
instruments, books...anything and everything that might help them get  through their
tours with a wee bit of comfort. Believe it or not zip-top  baggies, or other
closeable plastic bags are a big request (I guess they're good  for keeping
out the sand).

There's a group sending guitars and other instruments to troops in the  field
too - check out the 'reply letters' to see for yourself if they're
appreciative or not while they're still there, or if they'd rather wait and be
"welcomed home" with a free harmonica.

_http://www.operationhappynote.com/_ (http://www.operationhappynote.com/)

here's the origin of operation happy note:

_http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/11/AR20070611021
75_pf.html_
(http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/11/AR2007061102175_pf.html)

and a video (if it plays) of soldiers talking about getting the  guitars:

_http://www.taskforcemarne.com/video-audio/231-Operation-Happy-Note_
(http://www.taskforcemarne.com/video-audio/231-Operation-Happy-Note)

this one I believe in too, since they provide instruments for wounded
soldiers in rehabilitation hospitals...mostly guitars and keyboards,  pianos.  I
think it might be time to send them some harmonicas:

_http://rs420.securehostserver.com/~operatio/user/index.php_
(http://rs420.securehostserver.com/~operatio/user/index.php)

this one is for shipping food and treat packages:

_Click here: All Out  Discount Military Packages_
(http://alloutdiscount.com/shop/index.php)

The reality is,  some won't get home alive to be welcomed with a free
harmonica.   That's the whole point in sending things now, and in attempting to
alleviate some of the homesickness and loneliness experienced by so many troops
overseas.  My husband's a Vietnam Vet.  All he cared about as a young  kid
while in-country, was getting letters, mail, anything at all from 'back  home'.
It's the most important thing anyone can do.

Regardless of which 'side' of the issue you're on, I doubt  anyone could
possibly still continue to want a single service person to remain  in danger for
another day at this point in time, (and yes I speak out against  this war every
chance I get..but that's not what this discussion is about)...  we're stuck
with the reality of the situation, so we can do these little things  to provide
some modicum of happiness to a lonely soldier.  A simple card or  note can go
a long way.

They are getting the harmonicas and other instruments for "free" now.   Only
they're getting them there, instead of after they're home.  Making  sure they
get first-rate and promised continued follow up medical care once  they do get
back, would be a heckuva lot better welcome home gift than a $20  harmonica,
in my humble opinion, but that's an entirely separate can of worms'
discussion, and off-topic.

Elizabeth

Message: 3