RE: [Harp-L] Old tubes

Some of those tubes may be worth a small fortune. Okay, maybe not a
fortune, but it is not uncommon to see N.O.S. (New Old Stock) power
tubes selling for a hundred bucks a pop or more. What I would suggest is
to make a list of all of the tube types and then compare them to those
commonly used in the musical amplifier realm. I can give you a list
off-list, if you like. Then keep those! You never know what may come in
the future. The tubes will not degrade over time.

For the ones which are not common for tube amplifiers, I would suggest
contacting your local HAMM (amateur) radio operators' club. HAMMs
sometimes use older tube-based sets and have swap meets from
time-to-time. They are always looking for those hard-to-find tubes;
especially N.O.S. tubes. I wouldn't suggest e-Bay as a first choice
because tubes can be damaged in shipping and there are some dummies out
there who will inevitably install the tubes incorrectly and then give
you grief for selling them "junk".

I lucked out a few years back when I helped a friend clean out an old
defunct AM radio station. He said: "Everything goes!" I found an SM57
and a 545 microphone and a cabinet full of 6L6, 12AX7, 12AY7 and 12AU7
tubes. I gave away a 5V4 rectifier tube because I hadn't ever heard of
that type before. I later found out that it will work great as a
replacement for a rectifier which has more kick than a 5Y3 but less than
a GZ34/5AR4 I wish I had that one back!
Moral of the story: keep them until you know 100% whether they are/will
be useful to you.

John Balding
Tallahassee, FL