RE: [Harp-L] Zoom H-4

Gary Calahan wrote:
<<I was wondering if anyone could e-mail off  list their experience with
the Zoom H-4.  I have some questions that I  can't seem to get out of
the "manual".  I simply don't want to take up  bandwidth!>>

Ask your questions Gary. Let's take up some bandwidth.  I think there's
sufficient interest on the list. I recently got a decent  deal on an H4 and have
been experimenting with recording my home practice  sessions (solo), and band
practices in our rehearsal space. Two totally  different experiences as you
might imagine. I'm a total novice at this animal  and so far my recordings have
been strictly mp3, directly into the built in  microphones so I've barely
scratched the surface. My results have been mixed.

Solo home stuff is for the most part easy to record and play back and/or
upload to your computer. I've done both acoustic, directly into the mouth of the
beast from about 12" away, and amplified from about 2-3' away from the  speak
ers (I'm talking low volume here since I don't want to have to sleep in the
garage). Both give me accurate, clean and full sounding results that I'm
pleased  with. I plan on doing some two piece acoustic recording in the near  future.

I've found that amplified band recordings require more experimentation and
patience. My results so far have been good, not great -- but with further
experimentation and familiarity that should improve. Placement and  volume with
respect to room size are key. The mini (teensy weensy)  controls leave something
to be desired but it's a small unit so I guess  that's life. The display read
out is also very small and without my x-ray specs  on I'm s.o.l. Other than
that I'm happy with the H4 and plan on  getting a lot of use out of it. It
would be great to hear what others have  experienced in the last couple of months
since this subject first came up  on harp-l.

t. albanese

products.