[Harp-L] Coverplates

This may well be known to others, but it appears to me that both Hohner and
Seydel are using the same coverplates on some models. I don't really have a
problem with that except I thought the Seydel Blues Sessions had a unique
styled coverplate until I stumbled upon the Hohner 150th anniversary
harmonicas found at
http://coast2coastmusic.com/cgi-bin/cart/HH586C.html

Also, the Seydel 1847s are unique, to me anyway, in that they are noticeably
deeper at the front of the harp, filling your mouth more and requiring a
wider embrouchure. No problem yet again, but I thought it was unique until I
stumbled upon another link on the same page at
http://coast2coastmusic.com/cgi-bin/cart/HHM2007.html

Why should I be surprised in this day and age? I'm not, but I suppose I like
uniqueness and am "just a tad" disappointed. I suppose you buy the guts of a
harmonica, its precision in manufacture, attention to detail, and innovation
within the limited bounds of what is available on a very labour intensive
instrument to manufacture. To that end I should not be paying too much
attention to coverplates, but it just caught me by surprise. I love my
Seydels though, now that I have made the switch.
Reg
Tony Renshaw
Sydney Australia