Re: [Harp-L] Re: Keys (Organ Key in Help Me)

Iceman; do you have perfect pitch?
RD

>>> <IcemanLE@xxxxxxx> 19/11/2007 9:33 >>>

In a message dated 11/18/2007 1:51:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
ndavid.coulson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

On  Marian McPartland's NPR show Piano Jazz, she's talked about using
particular keys for certain songs because of the nuances, resonance
and feeling derived in that particular key, almost as if the song is
better served in one key than another.

Here is where we can really get deep inside music - each key has a subtle
"color/emotion" to it. Think of this as bright (key of F#, for example), dark
(key of Ab, for example) or whatever entity you choose to attach to each key.
If  we were taught to recognize audio colors at the same time we are taught to
distinguish between visual colors, the world would be full of people with
perfect pitch.

Composers who aren't concerned with vocal will write in a particular key
that gives that subtle emotional resonance to their idea.

When you start to hear music on this level, it opens up a whole new  corridor
of doors.

The Iceman