Re: [Harp-L] Re: Questions on Harp Positions

On Nov 17, 2007, at 4:12 PM, Winslow Yerxa wrote:

You're going backwards. You need to go UP the circle (circle, cycle,
same thing for most discussions unless you want to get into Pythagorean
commas)

Up as in counter clockwise. Okay got it.

The positions then go like this, which is the common usage:

C Harp:

C     First
G     Second
D     Third

I see. The positions are relative to the harmonica, not the key? When I originally worked out the positions and counted clockwise on my little circle, I did it based on the key of the song not the harmonica.

E.g.,

 Key	Position
----	--------
C	First
F	Second
Bb	Third

am I just missing something altogether?

You're on the right track but bringing in tangential issues that may be
confusing you. The number of sharps and flats in a key signature, for
instance, does not influence position because position is independent
of type of scale and even of enharmonic spelling.

I get it now, gulp, I think. Thanks for being so generous with your time and knowledge Winslow. Now I just have to work on my overblow technique and then I'll be able to play all 12 positions on one instrument.

Bob

Bob Cohen
Principal, MojoTools Web Design
Blues Harmonica Lessons