[Harp-L] octave-baritone-chromatics

Rick Epping wrote (a while ago, but I've been away):

"Sometimes I find the high range of my octave diatonics to be too shrill. "

As someone who finds the high octaves of most harps above C rather shrill, I fully understand.

" I
have consequently begun building them with the the top three or four holes
tuned to unison instead of octave by dropping the high octave reeds down an
octave to match the low octave reeds. "

The Suzuki SCT-128 tends to get into a bit of an interference pattern with the tremolo in the upper range, due to various factors (most likely a factor of comb chamber resonance and the way close pitches draw and fight with each other depending on the situation). Thus Pat Missin (who, as always, did a marvelous job tuning, customizing and otherwise setting up my SCT for me) decided to tune have the top octave be unison. As you said, it doesn't make too much of a difference in actual playing, though I wish it was all tremolo, but for the most part I tend not to venture up there too much anyway (the lowest two holes mostly).

I think modifying the reeds and/or reed-plates in the SCT to become an octave harp (with or without a unison top octave) would probably be more than I'm willing to undertake (or underwrite:). True, retuning could do it, but changing things by that much gets into some serious questions of scaling and the like which I'd rather avoid. The problem is either you have to detune reeds excessively in the base to get to the baritone range, and there are significant problems there (which is why I don't already have a baritone 64 made from stock) or you have to retune them up an octave--I don't know Suzuki chromatic reed-scales for their SC line, how those relate to the SCT or the like so can't say where and how reed replacement would work here.

" It's remarkable how
unnoticeable the transition from octave to unison voicing is while
playing."

I can believe it. In organs most of the harmonic corroborating stops tend to break pitch several times over the range of a keyboard, (so as to stay within the range of human hearing, amongst other things). When played alone these mixtures sound weird and illogical, but when used as part of the chorus, they are all but unnoticeable. I'd bet that's similar to this case, especially as here you are only dealing with unisons and octaves and not other intervals.

"I got the idea from Conjuncto accordion players, who often change the
tremolo reeds on the lowest right-hand notes to reeds an octave higher,
tuning the remaining tremolo reeds to unison, in order to bring out the low
notes."

I didn't know that. I'll have to listen more closely to the bass notes on my Esteban Jordan stuff to see if he did that.

()() JR "Bulldogge" Ross () () `----'