RE: [Harp-L] Harmonica in the Mexican Revolution

I've listened to a good deal of older ethnic & regional music from
Mexico and other Latin American countries. The harmonica is very rarely
heard. I'm talking here of music recorded pre-war. If the instrument was
common 'south of the border' then it was for home entertainment only.
Plenty of accordion down that way then, but virtually no harmonics.
RD

>>> Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx> 14/11/2007 7:45 >>>
One good source of information is Hartmut Berghoff, a German writer
who
has done considerable research on Hohner. His German-language book is
hard to come by, but there is a lengthy essay in English available
here:

http://es.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/2/2/338

He states that Hohner had a marketing representative in Mexico City
specifically by 1908, With Alfred Veerkamp as representative for both
Mexico and South American - basically the Spanish-speaking countries
of
the new world, a very large territory. Berghoff states that Mexican
sales were negligible before Veerkamp opened the Mexico City office in
1908.

But did instruments filter down from the U.S. on the secondary market,
independent of Hohner's distribution? Possibly, but only when
sufficient quantities were available to move them beyond immediate
markets. Hohner did not begin exportation to the U.S. until about 1868
or '69, and manufacturing output was small until the introduction of
semi-mechanized methods at the beginning of the 1880s. Until that
time,
Hohner had backlogged orders and buyers begging for product.
Production
in 1880 was still only about 87,000. However, by 1892 it had risen to
2.1 million (remember, though, this  is for worldwide sale, not just
North America). Between 1900 and 1913 production rose from 3.1 million
to 11 million.

This puts the Mexican Revolution of 1910-17 right in the middle of a
major expansion of harmonica marketing in North America in general and
Mexico in particular. Were armonicas de boca, purchased from the mule
packs of travelling peddlers, to be found in the pockets of the troops
of Pancho Villa and Emiliano Zapata? It certainly seems possible.

Winslow

--- victorio montes silva <silvaharp@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> SILVA
> INICIATIVA PARA LA PRESERVACIÃN, OPTIMIZACIÃN Y EL ESTUDIO
CIENTIFICO