Re: [Harp-L] amp recommendation for loud band

Lindsey asks:

<<I have tried a number of amps and I still cant get the  volume I need
without feeding back. What amp will produce the most volume for  harmonica? >>

Well I've been there MANY TIMES...
The best "independent" amp I ever had for cutting through a LOUD band was a
piggy back Fender Bassman 120 tube amp, playing through two 2x12" cabs set  in
front and at each side of the stage to minimise feadback.

BUT THIS ISN'T the answer.
The answer is to USE THE PA.

These days I've been using a Fender DeLuxe 40 watt amp, behind me as a
monitor, miked up to a 3 killowatt PA! That is louder than almost all guitar  amps.

In other words, make friends with the "sound man"
and ask that you be "heard in the mix"...

If there isn't a "sound person", mike your amp through the band's PA
yourself! A Sure SM-57 is ideal for that, but an SM-58 works fine, or most  other
unidirctional mic.

Use your amp as a monitor and use the PA for POWER.
End of story.

But, mostly, bands would sound so much better not being quite so  loud.

Back in the 1960's I had to contend with two guitarists both using 200w  tube
amps each with  two 4x12" cabs... One a Marshall, the other Sound  City. That
was unbearably loud.

I LOVE electric music... But if it is too loud no one can hear what you are
playing!
TRULY...

Best wishes
John "Whiteboy" Walden