[Harp-L] Fwd: music industry suicide/essay critique/fever induced

I found this on the internet, thought it was a good read and got permission from the writer to repost.

elucidate,

randy

From: tjr@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: November 10, 2007 11:26:48 AM EST
To: "randy singer" <randy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: music industry suicide/essay critique/fever induced

THE MUSIC BUSINESS

I came to realize about a year or so ago that getting better was the one
weapon at my disposal that the music industry couldn't control. If
you're
serious about a career, this is something that you will never get to
stop
working on.

But I can tell you the outcome so far.

At this point: I get to make a part time living getting paid to play
gigs,
selling CDs, doing sub gigs with other artists, and getting paid to do
recording sessions.

Most of my recording sessions have been with other indie artists, but I
did get to do a session with one major label artist.

Soon, I will be doing a live album with an indie artists who's won a
number of music awards and has gotten a record deal in the UK.

Two songs from my latest CD "Another Roll of The Dice"
http://www.cdbaby.com/tjr3
have been placed in an indie horror film. This film is already in post
production. The same director wants to use my song "Peace Love And Don't
Trust MTV" in his next film which will be a comedy.

Last summer I made bank from playing live gigs. I am desperate to
quit my
part time job, But I also need the medical insurance that it
provides, so
I still can't quit it yet (Yes, medical for part time employment in the
US. It's hard to believe).

I just got back from Europe and things are bit slow (only 5 gigs this
month). But I need the time to re-think my strategy. I have wanted to
try
some niche market recording projects and haven't had the time.

That's kind've it so far.

2 YOU HAVE TO AT LEAST TRY AND BE BETTER THAN EVERYONE

But the point of my original post was to take a hard look at
yourself. If
you're not dazzling people, start thinking about what you need to do so
that you do start dazzling them

Your songs alone wont do it

I sought out professional critiques and listened to the advice I was
given.

I put myself in performance situations where I have no fan base in
attendance, where no one was really there to see me (or even cared to
see
me), to test if I could get their attention and win them over.

At the end of each gig, I think about what I did right, what I did
wrong,
and what I could have done differently (it also helps having a friend in
the audience that you can trust for an unbiased evaluation too).

Perform so much, so that even on your off nights, your still pretty damn
good.

What I am trying to say is you have to look at it like it's a
competition.
You have to think about it this way as a song writer and as a performer.
Think like you're an athlete.

You have to at least try and be better than everyone else. You may not
succeed, but you have to try and then you have to keep trying.

Remember that I talking about those of us who want to be performers as
well as song writers. But of Course if you want to be a professional
song
writer only and not a performer or you just want to record and not
perform, you still have compete against your competition. You have try
your best to write and record better than anyone else.

This will make people value you as a performer and a song writer and
thus
value your music.

Here is something I live by:

always help your fellow musicians/song writers/performers/etc.

If you at a gig and someone else is onstage and no is applauding for
them,
applaud loudly and get the crowd started.

If a guitar player from the other band finds that his 9 volt battery is
dead and you have a spare, offer it.

If you write or call me for advice I will do my best.

But the moment you get on stage, all bets are off. Your job is to blow
everyone else away. Once you get off the stage you go back to helping
and
supporting your fellow musicians.

try to be so good that others are nervous about following you. And if
someone else makes you nervous, acknowledge their greatness and start
learning from them.

Once again, I say all this because this is one something that we indies
can control.

TJR
Neo Classic Rock
http://www.tjrmusic.com

Sure.

Just be sure to credit me. Print my weblinks

Let you readers know that they can download two singles from my latest CD
on my myspace page.

Thanks for asking

TJR
Neo Classic Rock
http://www.tjrmusic.com

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/musictjr

Download the single "Jesus Loves You (everyone else thinks your an a**h***)"
http://www.myspace.com/tjr