RE: [Harp-L] Salivating and the Pipe Humming harp

Playing with the Suzuki Pipe Humming harmonica, I find that it has more lip
contact than the standard harp because of its rounded shape (the pipe). This
means it's either easier or more difficult to move smoothly depending on how
much saliva you have to lubricate it. Case frontage and shape play a
significant role in the ergonomics of harp design. Anyone know of any
studies on this?

I also find you need to pucker a bit differently with the Pipe Humming harp,
but that's another thread. Fortunately lips are quite elastic and fit almost
any harp design... I like to warm them up by kissing my wife first... She
thinks I'm being passionate, but I'm really getting ready to practice...

A Pavlovian idea: saliva is motivated by the mere scent of food. A good
sniff of a favourite can really get those juices flowing. Perhaps musicians
should carry scent sprays? Are there packaged products available that will
get the saliva running?

Hmmm...
Ian

Ian Chadwick