[Harp-L] RE: Koa wood Harp

Richard Williger axes :

Aloha, from Kuai'i, in Hawaii.  I am here for a couple more days and, like everyplace I go, I check out the local music stores.  More styles,variations, and brands of ukuleles than I ever knew existed.  It occurred tome, though, that even though some of the stores carry harps, I am not finding a Koa wood harp - is there even one made?

Hurricane sez :

In the 7 years I lived on the Big Island Hawaii ( the biggest reserves of Koa forests are there )from " 1981 to 1988 " I saw many wonderful things made from that spectacular wood from ukuleles to guitars and fine furniture but never a harmonica ever . The Koa would probably make a super comb material too .

The wood makes for super lap steel and acoustic guitars . I have also seen electric guitars being made there now with Koa and they are beautiful as are the acoustic guitars too .

The ancient Hawaiians use huge Koa logs to make catamaran styled twin hulled sailing vassals that traversed the pacific from Tahiti to Hawaii , holding as many as 200 plus Hawaiians and their supplies ( like pigs and stuff ) and also waged war with these Koa log boats .

King Kamehameha commandeered a British sailing boat canons and all with Koa war canoes and then went on to conquere and unite all the Hawaiians Islands under his monarchy .

Sincerely :

Hurricane Ramon

Aka :

Party_Man1@xxxxxxxxxx