Re: [Harp-L] playing country

I've done a considerable amount of playin' country  and for me I played
mostly in 2nd position unless there was a specific song that  called for 1st or
whatever. Blues licks work but there is sometimes a 4th chord  in the progression
of the song. I can only explain myself in simple terms  because I'm just not
hip to what seems to me to be the schooled harp players  explanation. I'm just
not that schooled. That 4th chord in the song is usually  the 2nd note
blowing. I don't even know what note that is, I just know that when  in doubt you
can grab that note and hold it with some vibrato, looking for cool  tone, and
then wait for the progression to start again. This isn't always what  happens in
a song, but the majority of the time it is.

     The difference in country seemed to me that  everyone was a little more
patient compared to blues. The last country band I  was in had 7 players in
it, all very good musicians, and we never got in each  others way. We would take
turns doing fills. Almost in a circle like. The leads  were all planned out
in advance but these fills never were. There was me, a lead  guitar, a violin,
and a piano player that would take turns doing fills.  Sometimes the piano
player was told not to, but me, the guitar, and the violin  always did. That's if
I was playing harp on that given tune. I played harp  about 75 per cent of
the time, played acoustic and did string fills on a  keyboard the rest.

     One thing I always had to watch out for was I  would be in the same area
as the violin. Same octave I mean and we would have to  make it a point not
to play the same licks so to speak. The violin and the harp  seem to be real
close when fills are added. I never knew that until I played  country.

        Sorry I had to talk about what I  did specifically in the band, but
it was the only way I knew to explain myself.  From what I understand you are a
real tasty player so I wouldn't sweat it, just  play what you know and keep
your eyes and ears open. Have fun, I did playing  country.

        Randy
      Biscuitboy Blues