[Harp-L] octave chromatic (was movie date)

Robert Bonfiglio (I finally spelled it right--thanks to cut and paste) writes:

"I did play a neat Movie date yesterday which required a lot of reading and had some nasty fast corner switch grace notes. Very much Rota or Maraconi type music, so much so that in one take I suggested, stupid me, that the whole thing would sound great in octaves. So we ended up rerecording 4 takes all in octaves! Last time I make that suggestion."

It sounds like you need an octave chromatic. Suzuki finally did build a one-comb tremolo chromatic, but it's not really amenable to being made into an octave instrument, IMO. As with the trem-chrom, John Infande has made octave-chroms in the past (not sure if he still is making these). Still, I must say there's something nice about an instrument which is designed from the ground-up to do it's job, rather than one using modified parts (ie, Infande's trem-chroms are excellent, but the Suzuki has an elegance which can only be achieved through the use of a purpose designed set of reed-plates, combs and the like).

Tops on my list of things I'd like to see some harmonica company make are a baritone chromatic and an octave chromatic and your post reminded me of the later. Who knows, if a leading classical harmonica player endorses the product, maybe a company might be more able to find a market for an octave-chrom...:)

 ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()
`----'