Re: [Harp-L] Mic and amps, oh my!

Very well said. I have spoken to tons of harp players about gear and
everyone has their favorite matchup. Tone is very subjective
and what works for me may sound like crap to you. I completely designed and
build the Meteors. It's the best sounding thing around
to ME. Why ??  Because I designed it to give the sound I wanted. That might
not be someone else's sound so as always, it's just an
opinion. When it comes to gear I'm probably one of the worst junkies there
is. I've still got a bunch of old amps that I think sound
great. I won't sell them just because I like their sound. I have about 100
old mics that I feel the same way about.

There has been talk about an "amp shootout" so to speak. I love the idea. I
do think that it should be called a taste test but that's just the
description.
I try to look at it from the consumers point of view. There's a lot of great
gear out there but to try it really isn't an option. If you play guitar you
can go to the
local music store and try out whatever you want. If you play harp your
limited to what you can try and there's typically the heavy metal dudes
working
the counter that give you crap for blowing harp for more than 2 or 3
minutes. The taste test really appeals to me because I want to try out the
gear too.
I know what the Meteor sounds like. I haven't played through Gary's amps,
Brian P's amps, Kinders smaller amp, etc. That would be heaven to have all
of the amps together in a friendly, non competitive atmosphere. In the end
everybody win's. The builders amps get to be used by potential customers and
those
people get to see what the hype is all about. On top of that there's a bunch
of harp players hanging out for the day (or whatever it is) that just get to
kick back
and enjoy our passion.

Scooter

My experience with numerous amps and mics has given me? a basic perspective on the issue.? There is not really a single combination that is the proverbial "best" one to use.? My selection of equipment is typically based on the demands of any given song in the studio or the nature of a live gig.? Naturally, I have preferred setups.? However, a usable result can be achieved with just about anything.? It really is true that the foundation of the playing itself matters more than the gear.? Granted, gear allows for an extension of that foundation and is important too (just not as important).?

It would be great to be able to audition a half dozen boutique harp amps at once, but the reality of the situation is that would cost upwards of $10,000 to do!? Yikes!? It is human nature to want to believe that an expensive purchase was the "best" choice.? Hence, there will be supporters (and likewise detractors) for SJ amps, Meteor amps, Harp King amps, Kendrick amps, Holland amps, Victoria amps, etc. etc. etc.? The reality is that the arguments for or against a particular amp may be rooted more in continuing to justify an expensive purchase rather than in the actual strengths or weaknesses of any given amp.? My belief is that the boutique harp amps are all great, well-built products. Whether you personally prefer the sonic result is a different issue entirely.