[Harp-L] Mic and amps, oh my!

My experience with numerous amps and mics has given me? a basic perspective on the issue.? There is not really a single combination that is the proverbial "best" one to use.? My selection of equipment is typically based on the demands of any given song in the studio or the nature of a live gig.? Naturally, I have preferred setups.? However, a usable result can be achieved with just about anything.? It really is true that the foundation of the playing itself matters more than the gear.? Granted, gear allows for an extension of that foundation and is important too (just not as important).?

It would be great to be able to audition a half dozen boutique harp amps at once, but the reality of the situation is that would cost upwards of $10,000 to do!? Yikes!? It is human nature to want to believe that an expensive purchase was the "best" choice.? Hence, there will be supporters (and likewise detractors) for SJ amps, Meteor amps, Harp King amps, Kendrick amps, Holland amps, Victoria amps, etc. etc. etc.? The reality is that the arguments for or against a particular amp may be rooted more in continuing to justify an expensive purchase rather than in the actual strengths or weaknesses of any given amp.? My belief is that the boutique harp amps are all great, well-built products. Whether you personally prefer the sonic result is a different issue entirely.