[Harp-L] Re: LW's Influence - sharing info w/the list

In a message dated 5/31/2007 10:31:21 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
harri.haka@xxxxxxxx writes:

This is a very interesting post because it  is much more analytical on the
influences of Little Walter than the usual  generalisations many of us
(including myself)have made through the years.
And indeed, there is quite a difference  between being influenced by horns
and "just transferring horn licks to  harp".

If you memorize the solos of Little Walter, you will be recreating his
creative moments.

If you understand the mindset of Little Walter, you will play  creatively
from your own inner resources.

Both will eventually lead you to playing well.

I prefer spending most of my time understanding the mindset rather  than all
the memorization. This approach works well with all my  students, moving them
towards confidence in their own ability to  create early on.

The Iceman