Re: [Harp-L] What are the simplest and best diatonic practicestrategies/meth...

This exercise actually can be extended in a way that plays the entire
scale through two octaves, four different ways.

What you're doing is playing the scale in one direction - up or down -
then going to the neighboring scale degree and going in the opposite
direction.

The variations come from:

- whether the next scale degree is above or below the ending note.

This determines the overall direction. If each starting note is one
scale degree above the last, the overall direction will be ascending.
If each succesive starting note is a degree lower, the overall
direction will be descending/

- which scale goes up and which one comes down.

Each version of the exercise plays the scale in only one direction for
each scale degree. it needs a matching exercise that also plays it in
the opposite direction.

The first version of the exercise has an overall ascending direction,
and starts with an ascending scale:

Ascend 1 to 8

Descend 9 to 2

Ascend 3 to 10

Descend 11 to 4

Ascend 5 to 12

Descend 13 to 6

Ascend 7 to 14

Descend 15 to 8.

Now you can reverse direction for the individual scales while still
maintaining an overall ascending direction.

Descend 8 to 1

Ascend 2 to 9

Descend 10 to 3

Ascend 4 to 11

Descend 12 to 5

Ascend 6 to 13

Descend 14 to 7

Ascend 8 to 15.

Now you're two octaves above where you first started.

Time to move in an overall descending direction.

Descend 15 to 8

Ascend 7 to 14

Descend 13 to 6

Ascend 5 to 12

Descend 11 to 4

Ascend 3 to 10

Descend 9 to 2

Ascend 1 to 8

Now it's time for the last leg, which will land you back on your
starting note.

You've landed on 8, an octave above the starting note.

Ascend 8 to 15

Descend 14 to 7

Ascend 6 to 13

Descend 12 to 5

Ascend 4 to 11

Descend 10 to 3

Ascend 2 to 9

Descend 8 to 1

You're home.

Now, you may think that because you've played the scale starting on
each scale degree that this prepares you to play in the modes that
start on each scale degree. But HEARING those same physical action
patterns when the tonal center is shifted can throw you off. Now, try
putting on a drone for one of the scale degrees (e.g. D for a C major
scale for Dorian mode) and try the exercise that way. It will sound and
feel very different.

DIATONIC SPECIAL CONSIDERATION:

The scale plays differently in each of the three octaves of a standard
diatonic. It's a good idea to play the entire exercise twice, once
starting and ending in Hole 1, and again starting and ending in Hole 4.

Winslow