[Harp-L] music perception and professionalism

I agree with a lot of what is written below, but I'm trying to square this with two other considerations.

What about the people you are playing music with? Don't you have a responsibility to them to work with them to produce the music? Doesn't this require a certain common knowledge base and understanding of where you are trying to go musically?

What if your goal is to play professionally? As with any commercial endeavor there is a prerequisite of technical proficiency within the field, how does one square this with the encouraging, but somewhat loose approach described below?

I love to play, but I also love playing within a group setting. Outside of informal jams the other obvious alternative is to play out as a source of entertainment. How much do you owe your audience and what if your idea of good music doesn't square with them?

I'm sure these topics have been discussed here before, but after reading this post below, which i honestly like the sentiment of in many ways, the questions above came to mind.

Splash wrote:

At the risk of - well, I don't know... I will re-post a message I got from a
folk music list I belong to.  And that message was re-posted from another
forum.  That makes it three-times removed from it's source, and I have no
idea who originated it.

I kinda agree with the general gist.  As a musician, I just don't want to
get all roped in to these discussions as to what is "better" or what is
worthy, because when I'm "doing music" I just want it to feel good.

Here's the message and I think it makes some good points.
----copy----
I heard a comment recently from a musician/teacher who said to his
student:
You have to be born into X culture to truly play X style of music.
I have heard comments like this before. And I think they are very
destructive and silly.

Music is a language that is accessible to anyone, everyone.
It takes no special training. Listening is free. Even deaf people
can feel the vibrations.
Making music is also totally available to everyone.
You do not have to be born into a certain culture or raised in a
certain place.  It's available to you, and somewhat unavoidable.
I've heard it said that one must be born to play the blues, or born
to sing opera, or born into Latin music.

It's Hogwash.

Music is universal, and the choice is one's own.
Everything is available to everyone.
Musicians are made, sometimes self made. Some people know they are
musicians from the start, and dedicate their entire being to the
craft. Others find music differently, and it becomes a hobby, a
release, or a healing pastime.
Pick a style or a bunch of styles, or no style. And go for it. No
strings attached. There are no rules. NO RULES!
You can simultaneously love Jimmy Buffet and Devo, Paco DeLucia and
Britney Spears, Mozart and M&M, John Coletrane and John Denver. It
makes no difference.
All Music is valid. You can play it on a violin, a banjo, a rock...
Preferences are OK. Snobbery is a waste of energy.

Go ahead. Wear the Cowboy Hat!

You may choose not to listen to some kinds of music. There is so
much out there that you may want to hone in on what you like during
your short time on this planet.
I heard a young man the other day play the blues.

He was playing the blues because he chose the blues.  He is
allowed. Not because he was poor or black or had the name of a dead
president. It was his entry point.
The Blues' endless depth does not preclude its beginning. You have
to start somewhere.  You have to strum that first chord, pluck that
first note, and sing that first word.
Who cares what somebody else thinks?
It's in you and it wants to come out.
You know how many young and not so young Jazz snobs there are?
Lots. Some are even good musicians. But the amazing musicians, the
players who really preach the word, those guys are so open and
accepting and encouraging and loving, that a discouraging word to
would never cross their lips. They Know!

I got a friend, great Jazz and rock guitarist, decided one day he
was Irish. He changed his name and picked up a penny whistle. Cool!
I know another guy who saw a movie and started playing music like
Django. Not because his family is Gypsy, that music just spoke to
him. The woman who plays the most simple folk tunes on a
dulcimer......who is she really?

Kahlil Gibran says that children come through us, they are not us.
We are not them.

Actually this is what he said:

"Your children ...are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for
itself"
Thanks Nina.

We are all children of life, on our paths.
As children, we need to allow ourselves, to choose and be whom we
choose to be, without putting conditions or limitations on
happiness.
Let the students become teachers and know they can do anything.

I hear musicians spew so much crud about what is valid and right
musically. Pooh!

"fay çe que vouldras"

Music, any style can be yours, you make it your own.
It may start out as a pale imitation of your listening habits,
tempered by your skills and experience. But it is your own. Play it.
Don't cry about what you could have been, if only.
Play, write, dance, whatever!
I know some amazing musicians you will never hear of, who choose to
play the most simple, beautiful honest songs.
Some are amazing not because they are schooled, (some are) skilled,
(some are) dedicated, (some are) or born into tradition. (Some are)
They are just honestly expressing what they love, however they know
how.
You can sing, bang on trash can lids, or even create music
electronically on computers.
Name it whatever you choose.
It does not matter.
Don't let anyone, teachers, parents, piers, loving friends, mates,
etc. tell you that you can't.
You can!

www.hillbillyflamenco.com

I thought this message had a place somewhere in our discussion here.

PEACE

Catch suspicious messages before you open them?with Windows Live Hotmail. http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_protection_0507