Re: [Harp-L] Changing Reed Plates (never done it)

Phil Oetiker wrote:
I've never changed the reed plates, just bought a new harp. But, I have found a need for a High G harp. Now can I put Lee Oskar High G reeds in a Lee Oskar regular G major diatonic? Or can I put Suzuki High G replacement reed plates into my almost never needed Db
Promaster?
I'm guessing both answers are "yes." But I wanted to check with the wise men of the mail list first.
Also, do I really need a tool kit sold by the harmonica companies?

Answers:
Yes, you can put any Lee Oskar reed plate on any Lee Oskar comb. All Lee Oskar plates and combs are interchangeable.

I have no idea whether Suzuki reed plates and combs are interchangeable, but from a manufacturing point of view, it would certainly make more sense for the parts to be interchangeable. But you're better off checking with Suzuki first.

To change Lee Oskar reed plates, the only tool you need is a #1 Phillips head screwdriver. Sometimes it takes a little effort on the first try to get the screws to tap into the new plates, but it's not a big problem.

You need to be careful when you put the new plates in not to warp the plates. You can warp the plates by tightening the screws too much. Just tighten the screws until they're hand-tight, and leave it at that.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com
latest mp3s always at http://broadjam.com/rhunter