Re: [Harp-L] Pop harp and creativity

Hi big Mike. One thing that I have noticed over the last 10 years here is that every time a topic along these lines comes up, it is always attached to diatonic. Now, I realize that most on this list are diatonic players (and damn good ones too), but very few chromatic players ever chime in. The traffic over the years has dictated 2.6% chromo topics, and they are usually either about people or they are adds. Never genres. Not very educational. The pros clutch their secrets close to the chest.

I agree with everything you have said, and here's an example of why I think you are right. Sunday nights 6-10 we do the "Lighthouse" at the Sand Point Marina, Sanibel Is. Causeway Florida. It is the dinner crowd. The menu is such that you need to bring a co-signer. The crowd is 49 avg., generally well heeled and the fact that they will pay the $6.oo causeway toll says something right there. The tip jar exceeds the pay. ( which is nice) :)

The music for this (particular) gig is gentle jazz & jazzified pop. Played at low tones. Stuff like my theme song 'Killer Joe', Green Dolphin, Sept. in the Rain, One Note Samba, Bluesette, Round Midnight, Laura, Harlem Nocturne, Summertime, No More Blues, Song for my Father, Little Sunflower, Angel Eyes. I play diatonic, but can't seem to work it in. Too many key changes. Now, a really accomplished jazz diatonic player (Michalek, Levy) could probably do these tunes, but I think the REAL problem is that to do ANY multiple key change stuff, you need to be very accomplished (OR) a great harp switcher. Trying to do something like 'New Frontier' by Steeley Dan, will leave you with a bloody mouth.

Not disparaging blues in any way shape or form (I'm often misunderstood), the basic structure of blues is straight foreward enough that you can take what the music gives you as a basis and then embellish from THERE. It's the possibilities of reaching out and then using YOUR amazing licks woven into an already fairly simple tune that shows YOUR talent. With technically structured tunes, you may have a tough time just keeping up. Therefore, with diatonic, I feel it comes down to choosing your genre wisely and without taking anything AWAY from the tune, you now are in a position to ADD mystique to the tune. Therefore, the attention goes to you and not so much the tune.

You will leave enough of an impression that people will remember the tune AND the job you did with it. Sometimes (like I remember at Denver 06), I will remember the ARTIST and NOT the tune. Everyone was a master at what they did, but the only song title I remember was 'Spain'.

smokey-joe (I wasn't going to post anymore, but you guys keep dragging me back in) ~(8^')x