Funny, but I interpreted 'store vertically' to mean in relation to the reed slot, hence holes down (or up in your situation). I never considered it might mean on end. Thinking about it though, our way makes more sense. (I wonder if the solder weight could lead to reed alignment problems if stored on end?) Previously I'd stored the harp in one of those Lee Oskar zip pouches where it sat flat - covers down.

I don't remember seeing the advice on the website when I bought my harp. I think it's a problem that has only come to Seydel's attention recently. Certainly when I first encountered 'weird goings on' I got in touch with Ben Bouman via alt.music.harmonica, but at that time he didn't advise me on storage. I guess he wasn't aware of the problem at that time either.

Anyway now I know how to treat her right, I have no problems with this lovely sounding harp (except I still can't bend the 1 or 2 draw!) and I haven't been put off - I think I'd like a low low F too.

On 27 May 2007, at 18:09, harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 09:07:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ken Hildebrand <airmojoken@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Re: Seydel Super Low Harps
To: Jim Broughton <jim.broughton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

Jim... Have you changed the way you store your harps ?
Have you noticed a difference ?

I've had my Seydel Low Low F for over a year now,
as well as a Low G, Low A, Low C, and I have not
had any problems with the the reeds settling (gaps
changing).

They sit upright (holes on top) in my Fender harpcase.
I'm interested in getting a Hetrick harp case, where
the harps are stored vertically, mainly because I can
put more harps in it (wish they had a case to hold 60
diatonic harps!).

So I can only agree with what Seydel, Rupert Oysler,
and Jimi Lee have also told me.  I really do not care
to prove them wrong.  If it works, I'm all for it;
besides, that's the way I store my harmonicas anyways.

I believe the key element here is 'time' (beside the
'weight' factor).  Most harmonicas are in a state of
rest for long periods of time (mine are!).

Ken H in OH