[Harp-L] Bose PA (the one with cylinder "tower")

Has anyone used the Bose L 1 (or L 2) PA with a band in a small venue?
  Did you mic the amp, run the harp mic through a tube preamp (for tube sound)?
  DId the guitar play through the PA  and the vocals?
  I am impressed with the sound and application of the Bose after hearing a jazz guitarist, Charles Carlton, using it last year at his gigs (and he stood in at a loud outdoor gig where we had professional sound  and he cut through). I could hear him on stage better then I could hear myself through my amp (15 watt Valco Oahu miced into PA) and monitor.
  If I stand in and bring the Bose, what situations present problems?
  If the Bose was used for small gigs with two guitars (playing at moderate levels with 15 to 30 watt amps), drummer, harp, vocals- what is the result.
  Obviously a lot of variables that are subjective in these questions, however, any feedback is appreciated. It is a lot of money and I am excited about the prospect of a system that dispenses with having monitors, board, main speakers, etc.
  The Guitar Center tech said it won't project sound well above seven feet so any venues with upper balconies would be a weak point in the Bose system.
  The newer system, Bose L 2 is even more expensive.
  Thanks,
  Brian