Re: [Harp-L] Zen and the art of harmonica playing

What I want to know is who sells this Zen harmonica that I've been hearing so
much about?

And what kind of tuning does it have? Stainless steel valves? Plastic
semiconductor reeds?

I suspect there is a wide divide between those who play Zen harp (really
advanced players) and the rest of us.

If I was a really fantastic player, I know I would probably explore various
forms of meditation to reach a higher level. My music probably wouldn't get any
better, but I would FEEL better about it.

For the rest of us, we ought to settle down and head to the woodshed. Zen is
no substitute for harmonica technique and understanding how music works.

Several years ago I picked up a book on playing the piano by Chick Corea. It
was a thick, telephone-sized book, spiral-bound and I figured it would be
jam-packed with valuable information. Instead, it focuses rather heavily on
scientology -- which I didn't know anything about at the time.

I couldn't see the connection between playing the piano and scientology and
so gave it up. I put the book away and haven't looked at it since.
Consequently, my piano playing never got any better. ANd it was all my fault. I probably
should have taken up the study of scientology and now, many years later, I
would be a fantastic piano player instead of the dilettante I remain.

Where do you sign up for the Zen classes? I've got an old paperback copy of
"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" somewhere. Will that help?

Phil Lloyd
Still crazy after all these years ...

See what's free at http://www.aol.com.