Re: [Harp-L] Zen and the art of harmonica playing

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Murray" <dmurray777@xxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

> Thanks IceMan. Since it was a mention of "Zen" I was thinking along the
line
> that in the rhythmic flow of notes, silence becomes a sense object as well
> as a path to a mind object. A bit different from the planting of a "sound
of
> one hand" mind object with a question. Buddhism is about taking control of
> your mind and awareness of the relationship of things and thoughts. Zen is
> an offshoot that many of us became interested back in the day.
>
> The application of that is probably used, at least unconsciously, by
> everyone who plays the harp, with or without them knowing anything about
Zen
> Buddhism. My question is, is there truly Zen applied to playing the
> harmonica, or is it mystical mumbo jumbo used to create a mind object with
> planted thought that "I'm a mystical, enlightened, musician because I'm a
> Zen dude? Some folks have sold some book with titles of "Zen <something
> people are interested in>" A few of them actually have something about Zen
> in them.
>
> I'm not making a statement with the question, the question is serious.
>
> Peace and music,
> Dave

"Zen", and in fact, "Buddhism", have a core reality, associated with the
PRACTICE of what we call "Zen", for lack of a more familiar, Western term.
This "reality" and practice are not dependent on a name, exotic or
otherwise. I think I was attracted to Zen, and Buddhism originally because I
found the traditional teachings and practice found in Western style
religious forms to have become too stultifyingly formal, having an outward
structure, with little inward reality. So I meditated.

Eventually my meditations became prayers as well. I found a way to integrate
the East with the West, rather than simply toss out the baby with the
bathwater.

I read extensively concerning Zen, and Buddhism, and took Japanese at
CalState Northridge with the idea of becoming a monk, back in 1969. I was in
the process of joining the monastery at Tassajara Hot Springs, in Big Sur,
California, when I had some life-changing events which caused me to discard
this idea.

Shakespeare said it best. "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet".

There surely are teachings, philosophies, traditions that can be profited
from that originated in the East. However, "Zen" is not "Eastern".
Otherwise, it is not real.

Both Zen and Buddhism have become overly formal to some, losing the focus on
a core reality for the sake of a structure, that has to take on a
distinctively "oriental" air.

I always thought it funny that people had to practice martial arts in some
funny clothes, rather than in those they wear day by day. When is your
opponent going to give you the opportunity to change clothes before
fighting?

Bob