Re: [Harp-L] Re: future harmonicas and all that

Jonathan Ross wrote:

<But that's part of my point--the harmonica is a lead instrument, and
<usually only a lead instrument.  Thus it is either there as the lead
<or not at all (for the most part).  The bass is almost always there,
<the drums are almost always there, the guitar is always there
<(individual exceptions do prove these rules--Richard has a long list,
<but it is a tiny fraction compared to the list of equally well known
<or well selling blues acts which fit the sense of what is commonly
<used and indeed thought of as needed).

All true, but my main point is that the harp players who break through, for the most part, are the guys who aren't doing the same old s--- in bands that are putting out the same old s---. If you want to break through, you do something different.

Stevie Ray Vaughn's band had no harp, but Vaughn's guitar playing brought a lot of things into the blues that hadn't been there before him. The Canadian guitarist David Gogo's work is similar in that respect--the instrumentation is familiar (bass/drums/organ/guitar), but the guitar is doing very new things.

Most bands that really make it have something different about them--something that makes them stand out. In that sense, I'm really only interested in what's "normal" because it's something to be taken into consideration and then surpassed. And as Blues Traveller has amply demonstrated, the harp--played in an original style--can be the "something" that surpasses the norm.

Lots of bands not using harp now? GREAT! Lots of opportunity there for a killer harp player or two with big, original ideas and a great sound. Hard for a harp player to break through, you think? Try being a guitar player or a keyboard player--think about THEIR competition.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com
latest mp3s always at http://broadjam.com/rhunter