[Harp-L] Re: Creativity

When I hear a solo that inspires me, and make an effort to learn all or part of it, I'm not just learning something about the player who played the solo. I'm learning something about myself, too. I'm learning how to make the sound that inspired me.

Learning from others is a journey of self-discovery, not just a kind of slavish regurgitation.

There's nothing un-creative about learning from others. It's un-creative to suppress who you really are, and try to be someone else. But even people who make a point of never copying someone else can fall into that trap, for example by trying to play what they think is cool, or commercial, or impressive instead of trying to play what's in their hearts and their ears.

Having the courage to play what's really in your heart and your ears is what's creative. And you can hear it in the music, regardless of how traditional or avant-garde the music is.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com