[Harp-L] Re: future harmonicas and all that

Let us consider jazz quartets. They usually include a sax or trumpet. Of course, piano trios exist and need no sax or trumpet. Sax and trumpet are lead instruments as per your categorization of the harmonica. But I don't think that it means that sax, trumpet or harmonica are less essential. They are essential to achieving a particular sound that has its own particular merits.

One difference is, that there are at least as many sax and trumpet bands as piano trios. In the blues, harmonica fronted bends are the minority, with bands without harmonica being the majority; in Jazz, bands without a saxophone are probably in the minority.

I'm not saying that the harmonica is not important in the blues, but I really do feel that the importance is overstated and exaggerated-- my point was that most blues bands don't have a harmonica, but most do have guitar, bass and drums. So to call the harmonica "essential" to the blues seems like a significant overstatement. There are many harmonica players who have been essential to the history of the music, and most bassists and drummers have been ignored (sidemen always are, and as the harmonica is primarily a frontman instrument, that's natural). But that doesn't mean that the instrument is more essential than the others, or even as essential.

My stove has a fan above it. This is nice as it circulates the air and keeps things from getting too hot, smokey or setting off the fire alarm (actually, not well enough--stupid thing is either in the wrong place or way too sensitive). Many stoves have these fans, perhaps even most. But not all. Would you call the fan "essential" to the stove the way the boilers are? The gas exhausts? It's not a perfect analogy, but I think it might help to give a better idea of the point I'm trying to make.

 ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()   & Snuffy, too:)
`----'