Re: [Harp-L] Superstars in pop/rock music

let me explain this further...

A guy like Tony Levin is more than just a bassist, in fact technically there are 1000s of guys that can do way more than he can and Tony is the first to admit it.  Tony is more like a producer/consultant than just a musician.  Much of Peter Gabriel's music is based off of Tony's writing and style.  Tony is not just a session guy, he's a guy that brings a sound and style to the music. And as a artist that is so incredibly respected when somebody mentions harmonica guys like him say "hey, I met this cat in Phoenix that really has something fresh going on.  It's not like a regular harmonica and it's a differnt kind of sound that could really add to this project"

Already from that gig, I've been talking to Ronan Chris Murphy about other project... I'll let you guys google him.  Also from that gig, I'm working to record a new album where Pat Mastelotto will be the drummer. Pat is another extremely connected world traveling musician. Pat, like Levin is highly creative and acts more like a producer/consultant than just a drummer.  They are always looking to ADD to the music and now that I have changed their opinion of what the harmonica can sound like my sound will forever be etched in their heads.  At this point it's up to me to keep the doors open and move forward.  With guys like Pat and Tony when they tell somebody about a harmonica player the producers listen and accept their advice without question.

Do these guys know who Kim Wilson, Toots and Howard Levy are?  Yes... but they ain't the ones listed in their cells phones under Harmonica.  I learned a valuable lesson a few weeks ago, business cards don't mean shit. When I was asked for my number I handed them my card and was told "Keep it, truth is a I won't remember you name after tomorrow but I know when I need a harmonica player I'll get you"  Then my cell number was entered into at least four personal cell phones under "harmonica". When I asked for their card nobody had them because they don't carry them. I've got their cell numbers though.

The music biz is all about WHO you know. Your phone number and reputation is KEY. And right now on the "elite-level of Music" there are two cats that get called before anybody else - Tollak Olstead and Gregorie Maret.  The reason is they met the right people and they are not nuckleheads - NOT because they are the two of the best players on the planet.

Look for my new album by the end of the year.

Peace.