Re: [Harp-L] mic

"michael hines" wrote:
> O.K. techies, i gotta question. What mic would you recommend as a best
choice for both singing and playing through?Mic should be fairly clean
sounding as befits the style of music i play. Just want to add a bit of
vocal occasionally. thanks

One reply to this question recommended the Shure SM-58.  If this was primarily a question about a vocal mic, I might agree. But the question asked for a harp mic first, vocal mic second.

In my experience, the Audix Fireball V is flat out the best mic in its price range for a clean harp sound.  It's not bad for amped work either. But for clean stuff, it's a terrific mic at about $100 new.  I've recorded a lot with this mic too, and it works very well in the studio in a range of styles.

The Shure vocal mics have a big frequency emphasis around 8-10 kHz, which helps vocalists cut through a dense band sound.  But it's not tops for clean harmonica, which already has a whole lot of energy in that frequency range.  Add more, and loud high notes will make the audience wince.

The Fireball V also sounds very nice on vocals.  But on clean harp especially, it's the best mic in its price range.  It also has a volume control, which the Shure doesn't.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com
latest mp3s always at http://broadjam.com/rhunter