Re: [Harp-L] An alternative view on the future of the harmonica

The bagpipe has survived and even flourished for thousands of years in
dozens of countries without "widespread popularity and recognition". In
most types of the instrument, there are only nine notes.

Harmonica is certainly represented in popular music. But it will never
dominate it the way guitar has for last fifty years. Harmonica is also
represented in many other musical styles. Blues is where it's most
central to the music. Interestingly, that's also where players figured
out how to supply missing notes on he diatonic version of the
instrument, making a major scale (and its pentatonic reduction)
available in all three octaves and making the major pentatonic easily
playable in three keys throughout the range of the instrument. It's
also where players managed to utilize it in a manner that does not
require a pure major scale.

Winslow