Re: [Harp-L] Recommended Scales on chrom?

On May 22, 2007, at 1:52 PM, sean stephens wrote:

Hi folks,
I recently bought a chromatic book from Mel Bay,think the author is Bobbie Joe Holzman.
Very comprehensive study of the chrome and quite user friendly,having said that , he covers approximately 14 different scales on a C chrom and speaking personally,even in a lifetime I could never learn off all these, less commit them to memory!

Yes you can.

My question is; aside from the Dorian (3rd pos stuff,which I love!), what other modes would you quys suggest are the more important,/relevant scales to work on.

You will hear a lot from other people who ARE experts. I am not an expert, but my advice would be to not think modes. Just learn scales. By that I mean keys. Forget the Thrydgian, Carthaginian, Fridgedaireian, Cappucinian.

I tend towards Smith,Clarke ,Delay etc but also appreciate Toots' Bluesette for example and listening to Smith's "Peg",its clear he is "pulling the trigger"occasionally ,ie not merely playing Dorian.

The mistake most people make (my opinion) is that while they are trying to learn, they pay too much attention to players. Forget the players TILL you learn the scales. By concentrating on layers, you will be trying for a certain sound or style and that's not what is important at the beginning. Keep your mind clear of distractions and learn the scales.

Don't worry about what someone else did, THEY aren't music.

One doesn't build the foundation of a house while concentrating on the roof, or more precisely, the shingles.

For instance,what modes would the Harmonica gangs (Rascals etc ) have used most frequently?

Normally scales are learned in the following order: C (neutral), 1 flat, 1 sharp, 2 flats, 2 sharps, and so on. Minor keys are woven in at their proper times. Usually after getting through 3 sharps & flats. By letting yourself get sidetracked, you very well could reach you aforementioned statement, to wit: "even in a lifetime, I could never learn all of these".

Any advice appreciated.

You probably didn't want to hear this, so I'm sorry smokey-joe

Sean