[Harp-L] Re : Sonny Jr. Cruncher Review

Excerpt .

Greg Heumann sez :

" I've owned a number of amps, and frankly, most of them left a lot to be desired. Several years ago I attended an "Amp and Tone" clinic at one of Dave Barrett's Harmonica Masterclass seminars, and Gary Onofrio, aka Sonny Jr. led the session on amps. I was extremely impressed with the depth of his knowledge about amps. He is not a tech - but he knows good harp tone and has spent years and years experimenting with every amp you can think of, swapping one component at a time and listening for the differences.

/Greg "

Hurricane sez :

Wow , it doesn't take a genius to see the master craftsmanship that when into that amp ! The back side pic is what flipped me out .

I worked for a electronic service & repair facility for 5 years ( what a valuable experience that has turned out to be in my life ) , in that service center I was able to look into the guts of the finest electronic pre amps , amps , reel to reel ( Ampex to Revox , Akai to Teac & Sansui ) and got to see what real craftsmanship is all about in sound re enforcement and guitar amps to home audiophile systems like the tube stuff Avery Fisher made and also Marantz and the big daddy of them all " McIntosh " .

Google the Mac & Marantz tube stuff and you will see what I mean about quality laid out hand wired circuitry .

What I saw in those pics ( especially the one of the back ) told me as well as your in depth review that Sonny Amps rate among the finest laid out hand wired looks I have ever seen . I love the attention to the details in the wire chassey runs , what an artist !

I know it's a tough call for me always when it's time to choose a new amp , I'm drooling heh heh , I'm like a junky with the shakes looking at some fine stuff I need to fix when I saw those pics dang it !

Thanks for the review , it's reviews like this that make this forum a treat for me .

I know I have made reviews touting the new solid state gear I'm using and experimenting with ( my GNX4 Digitech DAW ) and even as much as I like these new pieces of fine craftsmanship in x-tor technology ,.....

I'd rather be sailing a tube rig from the start to the finish of my rig for recording and performing  .

The new push in electronics for those in the " Know " in the state of the art recording gear is leaning on tube

" Sweetness " these days .

ART is one I'm looking at with a 8 channel FIREWIRE computer interface that uses a single 12AX7 for each channel ! Hows that for a supporting fact about tube electronic sound !

My take :

Sonny and Meteor and anyone out there ( Ron Holmes ? ) are heroes in my book , they don't back off from what they know is TRUE !

The perseverance these men demonstrate is a true uncompromising statement of the  human  spirit and how you can not keep a good man down :)

Thanks for a great review Greg I bet you a happy camper ! Oh what a dilema you have when choosing which one to use .

- YOU DOG YOU !:) -

Sincerely :

Hurricane Ramon

Aka :