[Harp-L] Re : Mark Ford

Chris Michalek  sez :

I totally dig Mark Ford's playing. I don't know why I don't like Butterfield but Mark rocks.

Hurricane sez :

I am also a great appreciator of Mark Ford , he does rock your socks off .

Chris I dig your abilities as a harp man how could I not . After 53 going 54 years of playing a harp I can tell chicken salad from chicken - - - - .

You puzzlement on the Butterfield issue is not with out merit .

Paul is an ( pardon the cliche )  " old school " harpman  his life was no pick nick and he displayed it in a most tragic manner .

He was no sophisticate , he was raw and street wise though .

You on the other hand are a educated man with a set profession , you have a life ( family ) Paul only did one thing  ( besides the other detrimental stuff around and away from his family ) and it was play harp . No he didn't have the advantages these days we have , he did it the Hard Way . He went to the :

" School Of Hard Knocks " .

You don't have to sleep in your car between gigs , you don't have a terrible life on the road missing your wife and kid(s), and more than that , you seem not to be able to put on " Paul Shoes " and see what he saw :

Cheap dives night after night , crooked night club owners who cheat you out of the very bread that feeds you , your wife and habit , are the stuff entertainers lived on in Rock-N-Roll and Blues  ( Read Ruth Brown's biography or the super tragic Bessie Smith's if Blues related artists interest you and how they survived ) through out their beginnings from the git go .

I do sense in this last post about your feelings of Butterfield a curiosity about Butterfield that I have not read in you posts of him before and I think that is cool .

It's O.K. that your not totally committed to him . I'm certainly not , but that's where the divide begins between us and those of us here in this forum like us .

As the old Native American saying goes ,:

" walk in his moccasins first before making a conclusion " .

Oh and yeah , right on on Mark Ford , he's killer from the old school ways too , with a new now-a-days approach with his FX's set up . I use em too .

I just saw a PBS special of The Robben Ford Band ( Mark of course was there too ) and wow what a player , I get off listening to chops like his as a well as pump them out myself .

Here's to you Chris , keep up the search , I still do , only now after 53 going 54 years of music study my discovery days are pretty much suited to my guitar & keyboard studies and playing .

This is no way indicating that I don't learn stuff harp from anyone these days :)

If I hear a young gun rip , like Jason Ricci or you , or an older type guy like Tom Ball or Richard Hunter I'm down with it to the core enjoying and if I'm lucky I do learn something new , wow how cool is that :)!

Sincerely :

Hurricane Ramon

Aka :

Party_Man1@xxxxxxxxxx