[Harp-L] Amplifying the acoustic sound Live: Mic choice

If anyone here feels like sharing the information I am curious about how best to capture acoustic style diatonic playing WITHOUT cupping the microphone both live and in the studio.

What I mean is what microphone would you suggest if you want to be able to stand back a bit from the mic while playing live. I'm thinking about the conflict between being able to pick up the subtleties of acoustic hand shaping playing and ambient noise onstage, as well as feedback issues.

In the studio there would be less issues with ambient noise, especially if in an isobooth. But what about recording "live" in the studio with the band? I'm looking for microphone suggestions and possible effects of pop filters.

I am about to go into the studio and lay down some harp work over a track and it is only my second recording. I will be working with professional engineers, but wanted input from players here who have recorded

Thank you in advance to all who feel like contributing.

Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the i?m Initiative now. It?s free. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM_MAY07