[Harp-L] Re : Re: New Richard Hunter piece at Broadjam.com

Hurricane sez :

Thanks Richard , saying your a wealth of info is truly an understatement .

Seems the 21st century has spawned

  " the bard " .

All a new with the digital magic needed to make a solo artist a truly interesting , complex and competitive individual musician  .

I see the future for creative minds to be a " golden age " is now , right now .

All :

Any individual who can  make a harp walk and talk ( so to say )is missing the digital boat totally if they don't pick up a second instrument nowadays to back themselves up with .

A harp is by far one of the toughest little illegitimate children to learn how to really rip it up on . Once learned proficiently , a harp player can see just how much more easily other instruments are learned / played .

I won't go into what's easier or what's more important to learn as far as a second instrument , but would recommend piano for anyone as a reference point to begin with , even if a person doesn't get really good at it on the piano , it will serve anyone more than  well in understanding compositions and how to arrange music ( your own:) and the different parts of other instruments and how they relate to one another .

It's supper fine and nice to have session men when possible but , as Richard said the costs can be and in many cases are prohibitive .

One nice closing thought though  .

Harp players don't have to worry about is this fact :

Synthesizers cover a plethora of instruments

- - and - -

like you Richard , mentioning that you played as much as you can to produce your  music , then pulling your giant killer out and blowing some serious stuff on harp ,

- - - well - - -

There is no synthesizer  harp sound ( I know personally from the Yamaha , Kawaii , & Roland synthesizers I own   ), that can not even come close to the harp .

In essence :

- - Harp players rule - -

I get commercials to play on where the entire songs / jingles  are done with midi synths !

The song I played on of Chan Romero's ( can be heard at Harpin & Whinin thanks to Mark Purintun )  " America " is all synths save the guitar parts , vocals & harp .

It's taken me ( after my little guitar miracle November " 1998 " ) 9 years to get my guitar chops in order , your lucky you have a nice brother to do the slide parts for guitar :) , your abilities on keyboard are really good , much better than my keyboard chops  , but I'm still working on them too .

Myself  , well , since I saw my guitar playing was improving by leaps bounds compared to keyboard , my old time jr. H.S. buddy recommended I get a synthesizer midi guitar . I did it and haven't looked back since ! I am so glad I listened to him .

Dig this Richard . Stride piano is almost an impossible thing fore me to play on a paino keyboard ........

- - But - - -

Strange as it seems , to play the stride piano on my midi synth guitar is so easy for me it's almost criminally wrong  heh heh it's so easy to get a stride feel out of a synth guitar ! I love the piano sounds on my Roland GR33 guitar synth , they are stellar .

I have been watching , reading , and thinking about how to approach my recordings , your input is really good stuff , I know anyone who takes a chance on recording their stuff would benefit loads from your postings .

Strings are another thing a midi guitar excels in , guitar synths are triggered by strings to start with so " plucking " is right on ! The horns ( reed and brass ) play out really well ,

- -  but - -

No way

No how

does a synth even come close to a harp players expressive power and explosiveness !

Mil Grazia " Ricardo Cacciatore "! :)

Sincerely :

Hurricane Ramon .

Aka :